Re: default charset for text/html selection in X11

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: default charset for text/html selection in X11
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 11:07:45 +0200

    Po Lu> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

    >> Po Lu> (get-text-property 0 html 'foreign-selection), of course.  Sorry
about
    >> Po Lu> the confusion.
    >>
    >> (get-text-property 0 'foreign-selection html) => STRING
    >>
    >> but itʼs definitely a utf-8 string, not iso-latin-1.

    Po Lu> Would you please report this as a bug, to the Chromium developers?
    Po Lu> That is, if:

    Po Lu>   (x-get-selection-internal 'CLIPBOARD 'text/html)

    Po Lu> returns a string of the same type.

It does.

    Po Lu> The ICCCM clearly states that:

    Po Lu>   STRING as a type or a target specifies the ISO Latin-1 character
set
    Po Lu>   plus the control characters TAB (octal 11) and NEWLINE (octal 12.)
    Po Lu>   The spacing interpretation of TAB is context dependent.  Other
ASCII
    Po Lu>   control characters are explicitly not included in STRING at the
    Po Lu>   present time.

Iʼm not about to contradict the ICCCM, but `gui-get-selection' does
the following

                    ;; Guess at the charset for types like text/html
                    ;; -- it can be anything, and different
                    ;; applications use different encodings.
                    ((string-match-p "\\`text/" (symbol-name data-type))
                     (decode-coding-string
                      data (car (detect-coding-string data))))
                    ;; Do nothing.

I took a closer look, and `yank-media' does the wrong thing, but
`(yank-media-types t)' and selecting "text/html" does the right
thing. The difference is that the former uses
`gui-backend-get-selection', and the latter uses `gui-get-selection',
and thus does the auto-detection.

Robert