Re: default charset for text/html selection in X11

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: default charset for text/html selection in X11
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:27:29 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 19:48:46 +0800, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> said:

    Po Lu> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >> It does.

    Po Lu> Thanks.  The bug lies in Chromium, not Emacs.

And Iʼm not the first to notice:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=760613&q=component%3ABlink%3EDataTransfer%20utf8&can=2

(although their proposed solution looks wrong)

    >> I took a closer look, and `yank-media' does the wrong thing, but
    >> `(yank-media-types t)' and selecting "text/html" does the right
    >> thing. The difference is that the former uses
    >> `gui-backend-get-selection', and the latter uses `gui-get-selection',
    >> and thus does the auto-detection.

    Po Lu> If this does solve the problem, please modify yank-media in such a
    Po Lu> manner.  It will make Emacs more robust against non-compliant
selection
    Po Lu> owners, which is always welcome.

Iʼll do that, but not straight away :-)

Robert