emacs-orgmode

Re: [BUG] Issues in ol-gnus when storing links in nnvirtual and nnselect

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] Issues in ol-gnus when storing links in nnvirtual and nnselect articles [9.7-pre (release_9.6.7-570-gd6f3ae.dirty @ /home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 17:26:24 +0700

On 22/07/2023 16:06, Jens Schmidt wrote:
- Create an nnselect group and open an article from that.  In the
   article buffer, do M-x org-store-link RET, then paste the link with
   C-c C-l in some Org mode buffer.  The resulting link looks like

gnus:#E18xcfu-0004HT-00@fencepost.gnu.org

   That is, it lacks the group name before the hash sign.  Correct would
   have been:

gnus:nnml+archive:test01#E18xcfu-0004HT-00@fencepost.gnu.org

I am not a gnus user, so my comments may be irrelevant due to my ignorance. In that case I am sorry.

Is nnselect a real NNTP group or is it some instance existing solely in user's configuration? Does gnus have global Message-ID index?

Generally news group is not necessary to specify a message on a NNTP server, it may be retrieved by Message-ID only. The name of the news group is mandatory if *article number* is used.

(info "(url) news/nntp/snews") or <info:url#news/nntp/snews> or
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/url/news_002fnntp_002fsnews.html

I am curious whether namely "gnus" links have to be used or it is possible to rely on more generic "news:"/"nntp:"; links, or even <mid:E18xcfu-0004HT-00@fencepost.gnu.org> (perhaps with some `browse-url' configuration)? It should improve portability.