Re: [emms-help] Some browser shortcomings and inconsistencies

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Some browser shortcomings and inconsistencies
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:23:08 -0500

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Indeed, this has been an itch that has annoyed me for quite a while.
>
>> 2.ii.b. Add enriched tracks and hierarchies to the playlist but allow
>> native playlists to save and restore them. Honestly, this seems quite hard
>> and worthless to me.
>
> I'd favor this, although it is the approach that requires most work.
> Some users might just like to see the medium-sized covers I suppose.

The playlist is an Emacs buffer based data structure, that the user of
Emms can modify as a normal Emacs buffer. It should be primarily textual
and conform to the user's specialized settings for display and input
commands (to the extent possible.)

This is desirable for people with bad eyesight (like me) and absolutely
crucial for people with limited or no eyesight. We tend to modify all of
Emacs to support a single, uniform look that caters to our visual
ability. Someone else's idea of what looks good almost always gets in
the way of this (I certainly don't use the Browser). People with good
eyesight, and graphical displays have endless options for gaudy software
that plays music.

That said, I have no problem with people adding a separate mode which,
when loaded, dresses up a playlist buffer to look as fancy as you
please. It is just that code doesn't belong in emms-playlist-mode.el.