Re: Contributing?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Contributing?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 08:24:36 -0500

Erica <e.a.gebhart@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm starting to think there is no one here and development is mostly or
> completely dead.

If you look at the git repo, you'll find development work going back
many years:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/?h=externals/emms

According to one independent source (we have no contact with MELPA),
Emms is in the 90th percentile of downloads: https://melpa.org/#/emms

Similarly, you'll find communication every month on the mailing list
with bug reports, patches and discussion:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emms-help/

Therefore Calling Emms "mostly or completely dead" is at the very least
objectively wrong. But more importantly, is potentially hurtful to the
efforts of your fellow free software hackers. Please don't do that.

People here on the mailing list are volunteering their time to hack on a
project they like; exactly like you.

Code contributions are always welcome. I would recommend finding and
focusing on a particular issue you'd like to tackle. Either discuss it
first on the mailing list, or simply hack on it and send in
patches. We'll proceed from there.