Re: Contributing?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Contributing?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 15:23:04 -0500

Erica <e.a.gebhart@gmail.com> writes:

> I am very frustrated trying to find any sort of community and gnu.org
> projects seem like the most difficult to contact and even harder to
> contribute to.

I'm unsure of how to help here. I think that GNU is such a loose
collection of disparate individuals that it may be hard to make such
generalization. It also depends on what you are looking for in a
community; different people come with very different expectations.

> I have attempted to subscribe to this list a couple of times.  So far
> no response.

Would you like me to manually subscribe your email address?

> This is the first response to me in any case.

You got another response on the mailing list today:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emms-help/2023-11/msg00004.html

> So it's really not clear to me what sort of activity is here. I could
> see some activity in git but that doesn't mean there is an active
> community.

Perhaps you can explain what you mean by "community" in this regard. The
community activity of a software project is primarily coding. Do you
mean something else?

> I have a bunch of fixes that I have done in the last couple of
> weeks. My use case requires album artist to work, among other
> things. I've got it all working and now I'm hunting down other
> problems. Playlist format loss, and Other things.  I have a to-do
> list.
>
> So the process is that to contribute, I email patches to this email
> address?  Emms-help@gnu.org? Then I hope you like them?

As stated on the site (https://www.gnu.org/software/emms/), you should
send patches, and direct discussion, to the mailing list.

Developers who become consistently active eventually get invited to have
direct git access to the Savannah repo, so that they don't need to
bother with the intermediary step of sending patches to the mailing list
(but others prefer it that way.)

Emms is a GNU project. Therefore, if we end up wanting to include a
non-trivial amount of your code, we'll ask for a copyright assignment
for that code (this is a straightforward, one-time process):
https://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2022/fall/copyright-assignment-with-the-fsf

I hope that's of help.