Re: integration with beets

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: integration with beets
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 11:06:14 -0500

Aleksas Tunikas <mail@aleksas.ru> writes:

> "Fran Burstall (Gmail)" <fran.burstall@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>  However, it would also be good if you can list the features of beets
>>  that you think are missing in Emms. Perhaps we can use that as a way to
>>  help roadmap tagging and library management in Emms.
>>
>> For me, the killer feature of beets is its import command:
>> * checks and optionally corrects media metadata from musicbrainz and,
>> optionally, discogs
>> * installs the media in the right dir in your music library
>> * takes care of album art for various values of "takes care"
>>
>> All of these should be possible to implement in emms...
>>
>> ---Fran
>
> I think you right Fran, if we can get metadata/directory managment we
> also would be able to customize the playlisting (on a birthday of
> Sinatra only play rolling stones), and I think it fits what we got
> already. The only question is that how deep one can go and would need
> to make it be able to do something like that. And I hope not too deep.

A lispy way of approaching this is to introduce a way of making playlist
using a domain specific language compiled by a macro:

(emms-search-run-query
 (emms-search-compile-query
  (and (title "Cantata")
       (< 8 length-minutes)
       (or (artist "CPE Bach")
           (artist "JS Bach")))))

I've never considered going in that direction, but we could do that if
there is sufficient interest.