Re: mpv flags slightly broken

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: mpv flags slightly broken
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 04:45:26 +0500

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:58:00 -1000
Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> wrote:

> I am also having trouble with the latest mpv, which required an update to
> libplacebo and ffmpeg on my Archi Linux system.

It seem to work here with current Arch and mpv 0.37 there.

> Nothing plays.  Sending a stream results in an emms error of nothing
> found.  Sending a file like an mp3 results in an odd behavior where cpu
> usage goes up and in the mode line 00:01/03:45 (for instance, for a 3:45
> length track), keeps blinking at 00:01 but still no output, although the
> mpv process is active.

I'd try running "mpv /path/to/file.mp3", if you haven't already - if
there's some issue with mpv itself, or maybe fatal incompatibility in
its configuration file, it should probably print an error and crash.

Errors might also be printed to *Messages* buffer in emacs,
both if mpv process crashes unexpectedly or returns any IPC API errors,
but crash should probably be ruled-out by the simplier test above.

To get more info on what's going on, I'd recommend setting debug mode
in the player backend:

  (setq emms-player-mpv-debug t)

And look at the *Messages* buffer for event logging that'd be printed
there - might give a good idea of what's going on.
Set that variable to nil to disable such verbose logging afterwards.

You can probably post resulting log from that buffer here, after trying
playback on some file, or I'd also try adding --no-config to
emms-player-mpv-parameters, like Aleksas suggested (in a separate
follow-up email about the issue), in case it's some problem there that
only affects emms.

mpv should also have all sorts of logging configuration options, which
you can use to produce verbose log file from it, though again, if it's
an issue with it handling some specific media files, probably easier to
just run it from terminal on those and instantly reproduce error there.

Also, if you'll be tinkering with mpv configuration files and
parameters, make sure to run (emms-player-mpv-proc-stop) after changes
there, so that emms starts fresh mpv instance on next playback attempt,
that'd incorporate all such changes.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net