Re: [Solved] Re: mpv flags slightly broken

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: [Solved] Re: mpv flags slightly broken
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 02:33:23 +0500

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:14:42 -0500
Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> wrote:

> Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Easiest way to replace the file you have with git version, is probably
> > to save just that one file from emms repository, via this link:
>
> I think we can release version 18 with this fix, unless you see a
> compelling reason to hold onto it for longer.

Yeah, I think it's probably worth releasing.

There is potentially that other [B] issue with input-ipc-server option
change:

> >  B. Not require input-ipc-server mpv option, as it should pass it in
> >     emms-player-mpv-proc-init on the command line.

I don't know why that option required a config change with mpv 0.37.0,
but it could be some kind of local configuration quirk of course.

Bob did confirm in a follow-up email that --input-ipc-server option was
also set in emms-player-mpv-parameters (also off-list, but it was a
short msg, so I didn't think to forward it like an earlier one):

> > > Hm, why did you have that option manually set there, if you remember?
> >
> > It's been so long I can't recall but I'll simply remove it.
> >
> > > And did you also have emms-player-mpv-ipc-socket value set to that path?
> >
> > Yes, the paths were the same.
> > I.e. there should be no input-ipc-server option set by you anywhere for
> > mpv - let only emms do it.
>
> Okay, will do, although I'm wondering how emms will find the
> socket --- or maybe it will create its won.
>
> > If playback doesn't work that way (with something playable in playlist),
> > try running these elisp commands, in this order:
>
> Okay will definitely do on the weekend if not today!  Mahalo
> once again.

So I think given a bunch of relatively old customizations, it might be
just those messing things up too, i.e. don't need fixes in emms.

It definitely seem to work for me on a similar Arch Linux with mpv
0.37.0, so yes, I think might be worth marking a release with this fix
included, before mpv updates in other distros (Arch tends to be one of
the first to package upstream releases).

If there's any other corner-case with other changes to how that option
works now, fix for it should probably not be as breaking as this
unfortunate long-removed fifo fallback and now-broken version check
bogusly defaulting to it.

Thanks.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net