[Fenfire-dev] libvob native code runs on macosx

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] libvob native code runs on macosx
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:11:00 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

after several lessons i finally got libvob to compile and run on macosx --
unfortunately don't have an adequate gfx card so that could see it
actually work. will ask at the university if could try in some such
machine (there are eMacs with nvidia gforce 2mxs in a class, and one
powermac with 4600 ti in a video lab).

afaik there are no linux pcs there with modern cards so this might enable
me to use libvob-based tools for lecturing and research, where i found
FenPDF already useful (when have had a chance to use it on a friends machine)

notes about the process are in http://studio.kyperjokki.fi/engine/FenFire
and two slightly modified makefiles (linked from that Wiki page too) at
http://an.org/fenfire/libvob/rules.mk and
http://an.org/fenfire/libvob/src/jni/Makefile

apart from dependencies, the way of using shared libraries and jni took
some work. the differences with Linux and Mac OS X are currently made as
follows:

-- in rules.mk --
#linux
#CXX=g++-$(GCCVER)
#CXXLINK=gcc-$(GCCVER)

#macosx
CXX=g++
CXXLINK=g++

(that could be of course made to work the same way, but that works for me
now, that g++ points to 3.3 which is required)

#extra flags for macosx
CXXFLAGS := $(CXXFLAGS) -framework JavaVM
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers

#linux
#SHARED = -shared
#JNILIBTARGET=libvobjni.so

#macosx
SHARED = -bundle
JNILIBTARGET=libvobjni.jnilib

(i'm not quite sure what happened with -rdynamic that i seem to have being
commented out in src/jni/Makefile)

so still not actually working for me, but seems certainly possible
-- and with Mac OS X 'Panther' i.e. 10.3 shipping with X11 and gcc3.3
things might get pretty straightforward there, soon :o

.. thanks for help, everyone!

~Toni

P.S. i'm quite happy to use Linux, too, myself but i guess we all see many
reasons why a mac version would be interesting..