ff3d-users

Re: [ff3d-users] How to define a moving boundary?

From: Hao
Subject: Re: [ff3d-users] How to define a moving boundary?
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:08:35 -0500

Hi Stephane,
Thank you very much for your time.  I am still not clear how does  it work with ff3d.

Assumption: there is a block of frozen soil column, a constant temperature(20C) is applied to the upper surface, the soil will melt downward. The thaw front is moving at X(t)=f(t);  please refer to attached file.

Could you please give me an example how to define the domain space, and the lower boundary in ff3d?

Thanks,

Hao

On Nov 6, 2007 5:52 PM, Stephane Del Pino <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Hao,

Le lundi 5 novembre 2007, Hao a écrit:
> Hi Stephane,
>
> I have some problems with ff3d.
>
> 1. Is it possible to solve a one dimension problem with ff3d? how to define
> a, b, and n?
> such as a consolidation problem, du/dt=Cv d(du/dz)/dz
Yes, you just need to define only one layer of cells in x and y for instance:
--------------
vector n = (2,2,10);
vector a = (0,0,0);
vector b = (1,1,2);
mesh m = structured(n,a,b);
--------------

> 2.Is it possible to solve a moving boundary problem?
> such as a(0,0,0), b(10,10,z), where z is changing with time.
Yes.

> 3.Is it possible to solve the problem 2 in the following way?
>
> for(int t=0; t<360; t++){
> zz1=aplha*t
> a(0,0,0)
> b(0,0,zz1)