fhsst-bio

Re: [Fhsst-bio] What level to pitch the content at

From: Mark Horner
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-bio] What level to pitch the content at
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 19:36:02 -0700

Hi Nicole and Nicky  (Nix G and Nix K :)

That looks fine to me. I just have a few general comments.

For the physics book I adopted the following policy:

* include everything the syllabus mentions
* if there seems to be content missing in the syllabus add it - we won't be responsible for gaps in education and its possible that a strong/interested student would read additional material as well * a survey (I'll find the ref) showed that a large number of science teachers in SA feel uncomfortable with their own grasp of the content so we should keep in mind that we can write something which may help the teachers with their own understanding * we must have everything a student needs to know before starting at university, for physics I really assume
they know nothing and work up to what they need to start university
* it must be accessible to second language English speakers starting from age 16.

I think the same should apply to the Biology book.

I hope that our books would be good enough that a dedicated student without a great teacher in a rural school who is prepared to put in the time (and has the required talent) can use our texts to pass matric well enough to embark on a successful university career. That is my ultimate objective - make the necessary resources available.

As far as second language accessibility goes, the key is to keep sentences short and simple. I really had no idea about how they would rate content but after spending a class with the HDE students at UCT it basically (at least one type of test) came down to average number of syllables per sentence. I imagine biology has much more terminology than physics (at least in high school) so this could be tough but introduce terms and concepts as slowly as possible with as much explanation as possible. In the Physics book I have let the language become slightly more advanced in the later chapters. We felt that over the course of the book (3 years) the student should progress somewhat and if they are going to university it will be more complicated.

I hope that doesn't muddy the waters. Nicole is a qualified teacher and so she might have some stern words for me but thats the approach we (read I) adopted for Physics.

Cheers,

Mark

Graeme & Nicole wrote:

Hi there Nicky
As for what level to pitch it at, why not use the UK websites for their curricula - they're roughly equivalent - e.g. http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5411-6411-5413-6413-W-SP-05.pdf and
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5416-6416-W-SP-05.pdf
If you want to see other specifications, go to AQA's home page, then click on qualifications, GCE AS/A2, then on the drop down specification menu, choose whatever you're interested in. Alternatively, you could try the OCR website - slightly different content, but again, will give you a rough guide as to the level to pitch it at. However, remember that we're writing for ESL readers!!! While trying to get the content level right (and not dumbing down too much), remember not to use too much unexplained jargon, and to use diagrams wherever possible. Hope that helps.
Nicole