forge-main

Re: [Forge-main] Skills List [LONG]

From: Ricardo Gladwell
Subject: Re: [Forge-main] Skills List [LONG]
Date: 07 Dec 2002 12:28:29 +0000

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 16:03, Ed Spader wrote:
> --- Ricardo Gladwell <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > Rather, I
> > suggest that for each
> > three ranks in skills purchased from a skill group
> > gives you one rank in
> > the generic skill for that group.
>
> Ah. I understand now. Yes, this works much better than
> using an Average. What a great concept.

Still not happy with that: having 5 ranks in three skills gives you 5
ranks in every other skill within a skill group. Perhaps the ratio
should be 1:5 instead. Can anyone else work out a better system for
this?

> Since this is to be an encapsulation of a generic
> rules system (befitting of ancient-post modern
> settings), perhaps Firearms should be renamed to
> Modern Weaponry or something similar. In a
> modern-to-post-modern campaign, someone familiar with
> gun should be able to figure out how to fire a
> shoulder harnassed missle. Or does that fit into
> firearms? Where does one's function of firing a
> catapault fit in?

Isn't a shoulder harnassed missile also a firearm? Perhaps what is
needed here are some experts on modern firearms and historical details,
such as ancient sciences, weapons and so forth?

> Also, perhaps the word Ancient should be dropped from
> Ancient Crafts/Trades. Plumbing is a modern trade, as
> is Blacksmithy, Book-binding, etc. I think
> Crafts/Trades fits quite nicely, and is rather
> generic.

I guess Trades would work OK - th eporblm is when it comes to things
like Electrician and other technological trades.

Perhaps, instead of seetting a aset list of skill groups you make a
method of defining specific groups for your particular setting. For
example, in a setting called Green World you could have Green World
Trades and so forth. I don't know! Ideas people?

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community