[Freeipmi-devel] md2/md5 ...

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] md2/md5 ...
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:02:46 -0800

Hey AB,

I'd like to look at adding md2 and md5 authentication to ipmipower
semi-soon.  What do you see as the best method for adding md2/md5
hashing algorithms to freeipmi ...

A) Make a freeipmi rpm module dependency to some other common crypto
library, like openssl or nss.
B) Package some sub-library along with freeipmi ("libfoocrypto").
C) write our own md2/md5 hashing algorithms for freeipmi ...

Pros

A) Easiest, put development on other people

B) Pretty darn easy, have to update as other developers update, not a
huge deal.

C) no restrictions on licensing/anything ...

Cons

A) I haven't the slightest idea how popular/widespread packages like
openssl or nss are.  Yeah they are reasonably popular, but I don't
really know.

B) Some of the good crypto libraries seem to have funny licensing issues
.  Like we'd have to package their entire library, not just the md2/md5
algorithms.

C) I think it'd be a good excercise to code these algorithms out, but
they're not exactly a walk in the park.  I can't help but see porting
issues.  Not to mention wasted effort, since there are tons of
implementations out there already.