Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi sensor thresholds

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi sensor thresholds
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:19:28 -0700

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| >  Interpretation rules:
| >   [OK]              : < non-critical
| >   [Non-critical]    : => non-critical < critical
| >   [Critical]        : => critical < non-recoverable
| >   [non-recoverable] : => non-recoverable
|
| The interpretation sounds good to me.  However, I'm concerned with
| the interpretation when thresholds are not listed.  For example,
| with the following:
|
| Record ID: 3
| Sensor type: I/O Bd +1.8V (Voltage)
| Sensor number: #18
| Event/Reading type code: 01h
| Lower non-recoverable threshold: 0.00 Volts
| Upper non-recoverable threshold: 0.00 Volts
| Lower Critical threshold: 1.66 Volts
| Upper Critical threshold: 1.93 Volts
| Lower non-critical threshold: 0.00 Volts
| Upper non-critical threshold: 0.00 Volts
| Sensor min. reading: 0.00 Volts
| Sensor max. reading: 3.06 Volts
| Normal min.: 1.70 Volts
| Nominal reading: 1.80 Volts
| Normal max: 1.88 Volts
| Sensor reading: 1.84 Volts
| Sensor status: OK
|
| Will the only possible states output be OK and Critical?
`----
Possible states are:
  [OK]
  [Non-critical]
  [Critical]
  [Non-recoverable]
  [Unspecified fault]
  [Unknown]

,----
| What about:
|
| Record ID: 33
| Sensor type: F38 Tach Fan 1 (Fan)
| Sensor number: #64
| Event/Reading type code: 01h
| Lower non-recoverable threshold: 0.00 RPM
| Upper non-recoverable threshold: 0.00 RPM
| Lower Critical threshold: 2100.00 RPM
| Upper Critical threshold: 0.00 RPM
| Lower non-critical threshold: 0.00 RPM
| Upper non-critical threshold: 0.00 RPM
| Sensor min. reading: 0.00 RPM
| Sensor max. reading: 5100.00 RPM
| Normal min.: 2260.00 RPM
| Nominal reading: 2600.00 RPM
| Normal max: 2880.00 RPM
| Sensor reading: 2680.00 RPM
| Sensor status: OK
|
| Where there is no upper anything except for normal max.  So are the
| only possible states OK and Non-Recoverable when RPM speeds go too
| fast?
`----
This is because of improper values in SDR record. I will ask Rick Moen
to coordinate with Intel to get a SDR fix.

State for records like these should be listed simply as [Unknown].
Even warning level (upper/lower non-critical threshold) limits are not
available.

It is possible to find out which fields (limits) are readable
(available) and list/use only them. But this feature doesn't help us
in the above case. Till we fix the SDR, state should be listed as
[Unknown]

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>