Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi sensor thresholds

From: Robin Goldstone
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi sensor thresholds
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:36:12 -0700

On Thursday 12 August 2004 05:14 pm, Anand Babu wrote:
> So the fields we need to look at are
>    Lower non-recoverable threshold: 0.00 RPM
>    Upper non-recoverable threshold: 0.00 RPM
>    Lower Critical threshold: 2100.00 RPM
>    Upper Critical threshold: 0.00 RPM
>    Lower non-critical threshold: 0.00 RPM
>    Upper non-critical threshold: 0.00 RPM
>    Sensor reading: 2680.00 RPM
>
> FAN sensor has no [Non-critical] [Non-recoverable] states.
> Possible states are [OK] [Critical] [Unspecified fault].
>
> ONLY POSSIBLE RULE IS IN THE ABOVE CASE IS:
>  if (Sensor reading <= Lower Critical threshold "2100.00 RPM")
>     [Critical]
>  else
>     [OK]
>
> CALCULATION FOR THE ABOVE CASE:
> Because "Sensor reading" (2680.00 RPM) is above "Lower Critical
> threshold" (2100.00 RPM), State is [OK].

So it seems that since the fan speed sensor is the only one with an undefined
upper critical threshold, you have to treat this sensor as a special case.
For all other sensors:

if (Sensor reading <= Lower critical threshold) || (Sensor reading => Upper
critical threshold)
   [Critical]
else
   [OK]

It seems silly to me for you to have to treat this one sensor as a special
case in your code.  It would be better if we could just get Intel to put a
value for the upper critical threshold.  In one sense, I understand their
point that there is really no concern about a fan running too fast.  But in
reality, there has got to be some maximum physical RPM limit associated with
the fan.  If they would just use that as the upper critical threshold, then
you would not need a special case for sensor #33.

-Robin