Re: [Freeipmi-devel] FreeBSD 5.4 / freeipmi 0.1.3 w/ Intel SE7210

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] FreeBSD 5.4 / freeipmi 0.1.3 w/ Intel SE7210
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:29:49 -0700

,----[ "Mitch (Bitblock)" <address@hidden> ]
| > Hi Mitch,
| > There was a problem in Mailman settings. I screwed up the setting
| > while I was trying to filter out spam. I think I have fixed it
| > now. Please try and and let me know if it works.
|
| [Mitch says:] I resent just a few minutes ago... hopefully it will
| go through ok ;-) don't see an echo or a rejection yet though
`----
I found the problem now. Even though I restored the working
configuration for few new members moderation bit was set. So I have to
explicitly approve your previous message. I reset moderation bit to
off for all. I hope Mailman should behave OK from now on. Thanks.

,----
| As an aside, one thing I didn't see documented was the reason for
| the prompt to use set_io (the name was longer - can't remember it,
| and rerunning config does not ask the question again even after a
| make distclean) vs. io (4)?
|
| I didn't see the option detailed in the PDF or anywhere else or any
| details of what to choose or why / when?
|
| Also, the troubleshooting section might make reference to the fact
| that if it just hangs like mine does that it may mean support for
| your chipset / board is not included yet? Or is that a bug?
`----
Device IO port can be set at run time either thru config file or
command line argument. For 0.2.0 we are trying to detect device
automatically as much as possible. We also added ACPI based probing
recently.

But you are correct. I will have to document in detail what the user
should to and look for if it hangs in the first place. Thanks for
pointing out that.

,----
| I also tried building freeipmi on some older Intel STL2 systems
| (FreeBSD 4.8) - to get it work work, I had to manually add port:
`----
Older Intel STL2 motherboards should use IPMI-1.0. I am glad it works.
Please tell us the port number that worked for you. I will make the
device detection code match it with product/manufacturer id and return
this port internally.

,----
| argp-standalone-1.3 And remove references to getopt.  FreeBSD uses
| unistd, which seems to have been detected, but the separate
| references to getopt were not removed - is this a configure bug?
| Sorry I'm not a C coder
|
| grep -r getopt.h *
| vi work/freeipmi-0.1.3/bmc-watchdog/src/bmc-watchdog.c
| vi work/freeipmi-0.1.3/ipmipower/src/ipmipower_config.c
| vi work/freeipmi-0.1.3/libfreeipmi/src/ipmi-ping.c
|
| I just dd'd the #include <getopt.h> lines.
`----
I did not know about this issue. GNU Coding Standards recommends argp
library. Currently some tools uses argp library and some getopt. I
think it is better to use argp uniformly through out the code base. We
will take care of this bug in the next release. (Albert can you take
care of this bug?)

,----
| After making, I ran bmc-info - which kindof works - I saw the
| reference to the cat in the troubleshooting section - but this is
| included code - should I have to edit the code?
|
| vi /usr/local/share/fish/extensions/utils.scm
| ;; (use-modules (srfi srfi-13))
| vi /usr/local/share/fish/extensions/sensors.scm
| ;; (use-modules (srfi srfi-13))
| ;; (use-modules (srfi srfi-14))
|
| Commenting those lines got rid of a few of the errors... Where do I
| go from here?
|

| ./bmc-info
|
| >>--:>  >>--:>  >>--:> >>--:>
| ~ ~   Cat ate the fish!!  ~ ~
| >>--:>  >>--:>  >>--:> >>--:>
| Fish Exception (gh_standard_handler dump):
| tag        : misc-error
| throw args : (#f ~A ~S (no such module (srfi srfi-13)) #f)
| data       : [/usr/local/share/fish/extensions/utils.scm]
| No backtrace available.
|

| >>--:>  >>--:>  >>--:> >>--:>
| ~ ~   Cat ate the fish!!  ~ ~
| >>--:>  >>--:>  >>--:> >>--:>
| Fish Exception (gh_standard_handler dump):
| tag        : misc-error
| throw args : (#f ~A ~S (no such module (srfi srfi-13)) #f)
| data       : [/usr/local/share/fish/extensions/sensors.scm]
| No backtrace available.
|

| >>--:>  >>--:>  >>--:> >>--:>
| ~ ~   Cat ate the fish!!  ~ ~
| >>--:>  >>--:>  >>--:> >>--:>
| Fish Exception (gh_standard_handler dump):
| tag        : unbound-variable
| throw args : (#f Unbound variable: ~S (system-error-errno) #f)
| data       : [/usr/local/share/fish/extensions/bc-common.scm]
| No backtrace available.
|
| Device ID:         1
| Device Revision:   0
|                    [SDR Support]
| Firmware Revision: 1.16
|                    [Device Available (normal operation)]
| IPMI Version:      1.0
| Additional Device Support:
|                    [Sensor Device]
|                    [SDR Repository Device]
|                    [SEL Device]
|                    [FRU Inventory Device]
|                    [Chassis Device]
| Manufacturer ID:   B000077h
| Product ID:        24Bh
| Aux Firmware Revision Info: 0h
`----
This looks like you are using older version of GNU Guile.
Minimum required version is "1.6.4".

configure script in the CVS checks GNU Guile version at compile time
now.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31