Re: [Freeipmi-devel] ipmi_lan_open_session() question

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] ipmi_lan_open_session() question
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:14:09 -0700

AB,

> So far we have retained backward compatibility. But our plans are to
> drop the old APIs as soon as all of the utilities (including external
> projects) report they are ready.

Perhaps you can tell us what functions you imagine may be dropped.

> I seriously recommend everyone to use the Unified Driver Model (UDM)
> interface. It has numerous enhancements

AB, I'm not doubting that it has a number of enhancements.  However,
with all APIs, as you abstract away details you remove flexibility from
the programmer.  For example, the strength of ipmipower is its protocol
parallelism.  Its protocol parallelism comes from its "manual"
management of the ipmi protocol across all nodes.  How can I still
achieve the performance of the old ipmipower if ipmipower is forced to
move to the UDM?

Another example.  You assume in the UDM that users are willing to block
on a recvfrom() waiting for a reply from an IPMI cmd request.  What if a
user doesn't want this??

I think if you can let us know what API functions may or may not
disappear, that would help things alot.  I just don't believe its
correct to just assume that the UDM will be better than what currently
exists.