[Freeipmi-devel] Re: [Freeipmi-users] querying sensors of Intel SE7210TP

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: [Freeipmi-users] querying sensors of Intel SE7210TP1-E board fails with ipmi_sdr_cache_create: internal IPMI error
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 13:56:49 -0800

Hey Christian,

Thanks for the traces.  I noticed something peculiar in the ipmi-locate
output.

Probing SSIF device using DMIDECODE... done
IPMI Version: 1.5
IPMI locate driver: DMIDECODE
IPMI interface: SSIF
BMC driver device: /dev/i2c-0
BMC SMBUS slave address: 0x42
Register spacing: 1

Probing SSIF device using SMBIOS... done
IPMI Version: 1.5
IPMI locate driver: SMBIOS
IPMI interface: SSIF
BMC driver device: /dev/i2c-0
BMC SMBUS slave address: 0x84
Register spacing: 1

The probing finds 2 different slave addresses.  I'm not sure why.
Perhaps you could try setting the driver values manually to see if it
changes things??

bmc-info -D ssif --disable-auto-probe --driver-address=0x84
--driver-device=/dev/i2c-0 --register-spacing=1

and also try 0x42 for the driver-address.

Assuming the FreeIPMI ssif driver doesn't have bugs (I don't have a
machine that uses SSIF, so I've never tried it, I can only assume the
original writers did it without bugs), it's possible the OpenIPMI kernel
driver probes for addresses in an alternate order to the way FreeIPMI
does, and by happen chance gets the right values.  That might explain
things.

Al