Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole BMC Implementation with x38ml

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole BMC Implementation with x38ml
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:16:26 -0700

Hey Kimitoshi,

> Now it's working! Both w/wo solport workaround.

Great to hear.  Could you give me details on your motherboard, or point
me to a webpage with it?  That way I can update the workarounds
documentation to include this motherboard.

> Sol connection seems silently disconnected from the target host through
> the booting process.

I don't think this is that uncommon.  Do you happen to be diskless
booting?  One manufacturer told me that there are lines of ethernet
cards that run out of memory while diskless booting.  So all IPMI
traffic stops during that time.

I can imagine other scenarios where the ethernet is gone during boot.
Tools that were connected via SOL will either hang or eventually
timeout.

> However do you have any idea on what's causing this, and how to
> correct this behavior?

I don't know of a way to get around it.  From the 'ipmiconsole' side,
all I can do is read/send SOL packets.  When too many packets get lost,
or I get errors from the motherboard, etc. eventually I need to give up.
On one motherboard I tested with, during boot (it seemed) a large number
of SOL packets were dropped by the motherboard, and when SOL was alive
again, the sequence numbers of the newly sent packets were incremented
by a large number.  Eventually I need to give up b/c all the sequence
numbers are out of whack.

Are you seeing 'ipmiconsole' hang forever?  Or does it eventually get an
error or timeout?  It atleast shouldn't hang forever.  If it hangs
forever, do you think you could give me a --debug output of that
particular situation.  (Send as an attachment, since I'm sure the --
debug output will be very long.)

Al

925-422-5311