Re: [ft-devel] GSoC: OT-SVG: Update on the whole bounding box issue

From: Moazin Khatri
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GSoC: OT-SVG: Update on the whole bounding box issue
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 09:40:04 +0500

In practical terms, we need the bounding box to initialize the
top_left and the bitmap size. These values might be needed even if the
actual memory allocation and rendering is postponed indefinitely. One
should *not* expect immediate allocation of memory and rendering. For
this purpose FT_Renderer_Class is equipped with 'get_glyph_bbox',
separate from 'render_glyph'. It is not currently used however and an
outline glyph sets up its top-left and the bitmap size based on the
outline cbox.
In other words, 'ft_glyphslot_preset_bitmap' should be looping through
appropriate renderers calling 'get_glyph_bbox'. This is how it is
supposed to work.

Yes, currently for TTF/CFF outlines, `FT_Load_Glyph' calls `ft_glyphslot_preset_bitmap' but the function only works for traditional outlines. Instead it should find the right rendering module, and use its interface to get the bounding box and using that bounding box, perform presetting.

I need to check a few things about this to make sure whether this can work for SVG glyphs or not. Will let you guys know how it goes. :)