Re: [ft-devel] [freetype2] hooks-via-module-property d94f52b: Use `FT_Pr

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [freetype2] hooks-via-module-property d94f52b: Use `FT_Property_Set' to set the hooks. One less API function.
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 21:56:48 +0200 (CEST)

> ... but does this mean one can crash FreeType-using apps by just
> setting an environment variable?

A valid concern.  However, this will definitely not happen – how will
you specify four or even more C function pointers within an
environment variable?  It would be necessary instead to specify a text
string that represents the selected SVG rendering engine, which in
turn would mean that FreeType had to prepare support for this specific
engine.  But exactly that I want to avoid.  Its not the job of
FreeType to take care of harmonizing APIs to other libraries.  I want
a single SVG engine to be selected at configure time as the default,
and for this very engine there will be support.  If an application
wants something else, it must provide the hooks by itself doing a call
at runtime.

    Werner