Re: [ft-devel] [freetype2] hooks-via-module-property d94f52b: Use `FT_Pr

From: Moazin Khatri
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [freetype2] hooks-via-module-property d94f52b: Use `FT_Property_Set' to set the hooks. One less API function.
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 00:43:07 +0500

I meant the current state of affairs: how to make SVG fonts work using
librsvg and resvg step by step. Specifically, describe the hook
properties in include/freetype/ftdriver.h with examples of
FT_Property_Set calls and all external headers to include. I hope it
will become obvious how much burden you want to pass on the user.

As I see it, there are going to be two types of users of the OT-SVG feature:
1. Who don't really care about which library will be used to render
OT-SVG glyphs.
2. Who are interested in plugging some specific library.

For 1, there is no burden at all. Just compile FreeType as you normally
would and make sure to pass `FT_LOAD_COLOR' when loading the glyph.
The rest is taken care of automatically.

For 2, yes, there is the burden of writing the hooks and it is an intensive
task. But that's the cost of plugging in other libraries. For popular libraries
like `resvg', `librsvg' and `svgnative' I am going to write the hooks myself
(I already have, just need to update them), and the users can use those.
There are no header inclusions in this case from FreeType side, but yes,
the client application will have to include the respective headers of the
SVG rendering library and also link against it.

With your Add/Remove module idea, there will be a similar burden, the
only difference would be, we would have covered that burden ourselves
for the popular libraries. If users wants to plug some brand new library,
they'll need to write a new module. IMHO, that's equally intensive.

About the documentation, yes, I am working on it.