Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 08:37:49 +0200 (CEST)

> I have added an option in `FT2_DEBUG` environment variable to
> enable/disable the printing of FT_COMPONENT and Timestamp with a log
> message.

Looks good, thanks.

> After looking at builds/windows/vc2010, builds/windows/visualc and
> builds/windows/visualce I can see that they all depend on
> builds/windows/ftdebug.c, therefore I wanted to ask that Do I have
> to change only this file or there are some other files that I have
> to take care of?

AFAIK, it's only this file.  Alexei?

> Also in the requirements, you told me to provide an option in
> MakeFile `make dist` to build the external library.  But dlg uses
> meson build system and I don't have any idea how to combine meson
> build system with MakeFile, therefore could you provide me some
> references from where I can read about doing this...

I suggest the following.

(1) Use a different directory (for example
    `<top-level>/submodules/dlg`) for checking out the `dlg`
    submodule.  This subdirectory won't get distributed with the
    FreeType tarball.

(2) Create subdirectory `src/dlg`, which only holds a `rules.mk` file.

(3) Change the `autogen.sh` script to copy the necessary files from
    `<toplevel>/submodules/dlg` to `src/dlg`.

(4) Modify the `setup` target in `builds/toplevel.mk` to do the same
    as (3).  This is necessary for builds that don't use the
    `configure` script (for example `make devel; make`).  Be careful
    to use the right variables like `OBJ_DIR` so that it possible to
    allow builds that use a read-only source directory.

    Werne