Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 18:24:41 +0530

Hi Werner,

> I suggest the following.

> (1) Use a different directory (for example
>    `<top-level>/submodules/dlg`) for checking out the `dlg`
>    submodule.  This subdirectory won't get distributed with the
>    FreeType tarball.

> (2) Create subdirectory `src/dlg`, which only holds a `rules.mk` file.

> (3) Change the `autogen.sh` script to copy the necessary files from
    `<toplevel>/submodules/dlg` to `src/dlg`.

> (4) Modify the `setup` target in `builds/toplevel.mk` to do the same
    as (3).  This is necessary for builds that don't use the
    `configure` script (for example `make devel; make`).  Be careful
    to use the right variables like `OBJ_DIR` so that it possible to
    allow builds that use a read-only source directory.

I have followed the above steps to change the `autogen.sh` file,
so that it copies the files from directory `submodules/dlg` to `src/dlg`.
The copying is done if the submodule is already checked out and  if the submodule is
not checked out the first `git submodule init` and `git submodule update` commands
are executed and then the files are copied.

I have also added a `rules.mk` file to `src/dlg` and, for proceeding further I wanted
to ask that do I have to add a separate target like `make submodule` to build the
dlg library in some separate directory or do I have to hook `src/dlg/rules.mk` file to
FreeType so that it is built like the rest of the base and modules objects?

And In the (1) point you specified that the directory `submodules/dlg` won't be distributed
with FreeType tarball, do I have to add some code regarding this?

Thanks,
Priyesh