Re: GSOC Project

From: Aman Kapoor
Subject: Re: GSOC Project
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 15:05:48 +0530

Ok git it thanks werner and one more thing that i want to ask is for getting well in work with freetype i need to study whole documentation of freetype or i just need to have the intro and build it to the system,
Inshorts i am asking you to suggest that what are the topics in which i should be acquaint so that i will not find any hurdle.

Thanks
 Aman

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021, 12:02 Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

Hello Aman,

> I am interested in the project -_"Develop a test framework for
> checking Freetype's rendering output"

Great!

> 1. What signifies the meaning of word "font corpora" as i haven't
> found anything about by googling it.

A good and valid question.

'Corpora' is the plural form of the Latin word 'corpus'.  A 'font
corpus' is a set of fonts that kind-of belong together, or have been
collected for a common purpose.  For example, each time the FreeType
fuzzer finds a problem, the offending fuzzed font gets added to such a
corpus.

For the problem of checking the rendering output, collecting fonts for
a similar corpus is necessary.  Ideally, the elements of this corpus
should be tiny fonts of various font formats that either

(1) increase the code coverage of the FreeType (mainly to check error
    handling)

or

(2) test all aspects of the rendering pipeline, covering as much
    features as possible.

For the GSoC task at hand, (1) can be ignored more or less, since it
doesn't contribute to visual differences.

A serious problem is that many important fonts are commercial fonts,
which can't be directly added to a freely available corpus.  Most
fonts, however, allow subsetting, and collecting subsetted fonts is
similar to collecting PDF files that contain them and thus legally
allowed.[*]

Let's assume that glyph 'foo' of font 'bar' causes a rendering
problem.  A logical step would be to create a subsetted font of 'bar'
that contains just this single 'foo' glyph (more or less).

> 2. Where can i find instructions to build free type

Well, as with almost all source code package you should start with the
`README` file :-)

  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype

    Werner

[*] At least this is what I think.  It should be otherwise possible to
    construct a minimum PDF file around a subsetted font.