Re: freetype.org now hosted on gitlab pages

From: Anurag Thakur
Subject: Re: freetype.org now hosted on gitlab pages
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:21:24 +0530

HTTP and HTTPS both seem to be working now. Please confirm everyone.

Regards
Anurag

On Wed, 27 Oct, 2021, 9:50 AM Bermler, <freetype@protonmail.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, October 26th, 2021 at 4:05 PM, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> > > I think this is possible, however I don't know if we should be
> > >
> > > doing that, http is generally frowned upon nowadays.
>
> If this is easily doable, why not, as long as the default is HTTPS. I

It should be a simple switch in the Cloudflare settings. I understand Anurag has been communicating privately with you about the exact details. Anurag seems to be the cloudflare expert, right ??

> guess this would be automatic redirection from HTTP to HTTPS if the
>
> browser supports it, and falling back to HTTP otherwise?

Yes, Chrome, Safari, and Firefox already will redirect to HTTPS whenever there is a HTTPS version enabled. And even then, most of the time people will be coming on the site through a search engine or link somewhere else, and those always tend to be HTTPS links anyway.

HTTPS only sites are blocked in certain countries. I think people in those countries should have the right to browse about Freetype too, don't you think?

> > > I don't know enough to decide if this claim is grounded in reality,
> > >
> > > but I have a feeling this shouldn't be a problem, old devices can
> > >
> > > use modern browsers, right?
> >
> > the browser is not the problem, more so the certificates.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > Yes, it should ultimately be up to Werner and Alexei. They will
> >
> > know best.

You know more then you let on
> Uh, oh, I certainly don't know best :-) As mentioned above, I
>

> certainly don't oppose having both http and https if it can be easily
>
> done.

Yes, it should be a very simple change, but if Anurag finds it too difficult to do, we can just forget about this. At the end of the day, its not a real big deal compared to what else we have to do. The CI, hugo conversion, and possible web design are whats really important here. Lets not get distracted ;)