Re: Two patches

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Two patches
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 07:00:13 +0000 (UTC)

>> Thanks a lot!  I've applied them now to the repository, with minor
>> formatting changes.
>
> Argh, sorry about the formatting. To that end, freetype's coding
> style has always struck me as slightly unusual...

Indeed it is.

> [...] but is there a GNU indent / emacs indent style config /
> clang-format incantation to automatically format to the "preferred"
> style?

I have never invested time to play with GNU or emacs indent, but...

> Actually a clang-format incantation (pretty sure you don't yet have
> one, the bulk of freetype came along before clang existed, and
> nobody here is a clang fanatic) might be an interesting side task
> for the GSoC students, to learn about clang-format and modern coding
> practices.

... we *do* already have a `.clang-format` file in the git repository!
However, there are fundamental design decisions in `clang-format` that
can't be configured – and the maintainers don't plan to change that,
I've checked that.  If you process a file with it, you can easily see
the problems.

What annoys me most is that `clang-format` (I've just tried version
16.0.4) always wants to fill a line, and only if it can't do that, it
considers a more vertical code layout.  In particular, AFAIK, it is
not possible to enforce

```
void
foo( int bar )
```

It always changes that to

```
void foo( int bar )
```

Besides that, functions always start at column 0, and you can't have
two spaces between a variable type and its name.

    Werner