Re: which language you would use for X11-less macOS graphic framework?

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: which language you would use for X11-less macOS graphic framework?
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 09:38:11 +0000 (UTC)

I think Swift runs on Linux also these days, but perhaps without any GUI bindings. I considered installing it at some point but it is quite large (even without GUI) binding. Size we are talking about similar to Rust and Java.

Open GL on Mac OS X is on the way out and quite buggy/behind mesa on Linux. You'll find accelerated graphics works on Linux but not on Mac OS X. (There are two existing bugs on skia-python specific to Mac OS X).

Metal is what Apple offers instead of Open GL. There is a feature request (I filed it to remind myself...) to switch on Metal support on Mac OS X for skia-python since Open GL is lacking.

Before you dive into Swift, considering watching some of Just van Rossum 's videos on YouTube for inspirations. Just is a font designer who also happens to be brother of Guido (inventor of Python). Just uses Mac OS as most graphics designer people do, and you would be amazed what you can do with Python GUI-wise on Mac OS, if your brother happens to be the most knowledgeable person about Python in the world :-) ... and check out Just's various software on github too after you check out the videos.

I think Just uses pyobjc (python binding to objective c), which is bunded on mac os x's shipped Python. But, have a look at what Just uses lately; he may have some swift stuff too. Anyway, he is Mac OS-based, and his software works are open-source and mostly about fonts, so you just find plenty to take inspiration on. (I don't think he subscribes to freetype-devel, but I could be wrong...)