freetype

Re: FT Performance Regression?

From: Jamie Dale
Subject: Re: FT Performance Regression?
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 22:07:07 +0000

>  This is fixed in 2.10.1.
Good to know. Once again, not called out in the upgrade notes.

> What is the performance issue?
The lack of clamping means that gray_convert_glyph_inner is called
hundreds of times more than it used to be. The may not be noticed on a PC
with a decent CPU, but on a games console with a potato CPU it results in
100+ms hitches.

Seriously, FT_Outline_Render is 10x slower is FreeType 2.10 than 2.6 with
equivalent input. It's probably not noticeable to you unless you're doing
real-time applications, but that is a *fantastically* bad regression for
anyone using FreeType for games.

-Jamie.