gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Large pending commit

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Large pending commit
Date: 09 Aug 2002 01:18:27 -0400

Greetings!  I have a large pending commit aiming to accomplish three
items:

1) Provide a local bfd subbuild option to prepare for arch-specific
   patches.
2) fix the merge-pathname issue
3) Allow toggling between debugging builds and optimizing builds with
   the configure option --enable-debug.

Unfortunately, my cvs access seems to have been hosed by my ssh
upgrade.  Hopefully will be resolved soon.

The details:

I intend both the bfd and gmp subdirs to be working space for us in
gcl development, *not* to be compiled in full in the final release.
What I'd like to see is saved_gcl dynamically linked with the system
bfd and gmp libs, with any routines needing patching compiled locally
from patched source, until such time as the patch is accepted
upstream.  This will work because symbols in a dynamic shared lib are
"weak" and will be overridden by any symbols (e.g. functions) of the
same name linked directly.  We already override the malloc in libc
this way.  Eventually, all we will compile in gmp3 is
mpn/generic/mul_n.c, for example, and hopefully a small subset of the
bfd files.  For now, having the directories handy, and a way of
configuring with -g, will hopefully assist us greatly in generating
patches.

There are four configure options governing dynamic loading -- dlopen,
statsysbfd, dynsysbfd, and locbfd, only one of which may be specified
positively, and defaults for which are given for certain
architectures.  Eventually there will be similar for gmp.  CFLAGS is
now handled by configure, and toggled with the --enable-debug option.
These can still be overridden with the arch-specific .defs files, but
they will likely require some small modification to do so.  Calling
the sub-configure processes with CFLAGS set in the environment should
propagate the -g the the subbuilds too.  Right now this only seems to
be working for bfd, but that's the key item at the moment anyway.

Mike, I think it should be straightforward to get an i386-coff bfd
patch into our local tree.  Perhaps you could do a --enable-debug
--disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd build, run in gdb, and post the
details.

Take care,