gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Building GCL and Maxima plotting - Windows

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Building GCL and Maxima plotting - Windows
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:42:57 +1000

Hi Stephen.

> However, my understanding is that Cygwin tools can produce MinGW32
> executables; basically you pass -mno-cygwin to gcc. I have tried this
> a couple times, and I ran into header conflicts, but it's supposed to
> work.

Yes that approach is flawed.  The best way to beat those problems is to use
Cygwin to host the standalone Mingw compiler toolchain ie putting the
standalone Mingw bin directory first in the path - this gets around most of
the configuration and header problems.

> If we get that build process working, then we would not need
> MSYS.

Until recently we had followed the approach outlined in my previous
paragraph and indeed it should still work.

However I would like to continue to support MSYS at least temporarily as it
does a better job of configuration and hosting of Mingw tools.  For more
information on the advantages of MSYS I suggest you check out Earnie Boyd's
original plans on the Mingw user's mailing list.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.