gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Problems building gcl-2.6.1-18 on Solaris 8 (SPARC)

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Problems building gcl-2.6.1-18 on Solaris 8 (SPARC)
Date: 10 Nov 2003 20:47:16 -0500

John Tang Boyland <address@hidden> writes:

> I removed the last line of the makefile which said that saved_pcl_gcl
> was INTERMEDIATE.  Then I was able to make and then run the code that
> crashed.  It still crashes in "exit", just like before with 3.2.1:
> whatever happened, it doesn't do better in gcc3.3!  It's not exit per
> se, it's exit after registering something as a global destructor
> apparently).  And also it doesn't happen with saved_pre_gcl or saved_gcl,
> only with saved_pcl_gcl.  My guess would that one of the .o's you load
> puts something in the destructor list and either is buggy (nonportable)
> or there's some bad interaction with the way images are dumped.

I wouldn't expect gcc to matter much, except perhaps accidentally.
This has something to do with your libc, no?  If you suspect the
unexec invoked in dumping the final image, you can also try (bye) from
a 'raw' image, made with 'make raw....gcl'.  Unless I misunderstand
what you mean by destructor list, we don't use any, as GCL is written
atop C, not C++.  Besides, I think the variation in the problem you've
seen (i.e. occurred even with saved_pre_gcl with earlier gcc)
is pretty hard to explain as originating from any single .o file.
Why don't you 'disassemble' from the fault point in gdb, grab the
source to the "dtors" function, and try to figure out what went wrong?
In gdb, one can inspect the contents of registers with 'i reg ...'.
Any maybe try the simple C program calling exit?  GCL only makes use
of atexit on Windows.

Any relevant compiler warnings?

The solaris machine on which I have an account is not available at the
moment.  Kindly remind me in a few days about a solaris ansi build, and
I'll see if I can get one autobuilt.

Take care,