gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] clocc defsystem and gcl

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] clocc defsystem and gcl
Date: 14 Nov 2003 17:25:48 -0500

Greetings!

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

> --- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Are we in good shape in your opinion?  I have no objections to people
> > using the ANSI build, but it will obviously be changing much faster
> > than the traditional build.  I can promise that the ansi build will
> > not go away, and that the list of ansi test suite failures will only
> > get smaller modulo newly added tests, but other than that its likely
> > to be quite a moving target.
>
> It will be moving closer and closer to ANSI, yes?  So that shouldn't be

Hopefully :-)

> a problem.
>
> > From maxima's point of view, I think the issue is really if
> > contributers really want to include CLOS/pcl.  Some may like the OO
> > programming style, but it is more complex, and does add significantly
> > to the image size.
>
> On a (related) note, are there any plans in the future to get McCLIM
> working on GCL?  I'm not sure, but this might require both CLOS and a
> working threads implimentation.  Maxima itself doesn't use CLOS as far
> as I know, but if we ever decide to impliment an interface in McCLIM
> that would require it.

If someone can explain to me clearly the issues of threads in lisp,
and if there is high demand, I'd like to get this insupport threads
eventually.  But it appears to be low priority at this point.  We're
working on ansi compliance and compiler reliability, and I'd like to
get to some performance monitoring soon.

BTW, GCL does support multiprocessing via MPI calls already.

Take care,