gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: OpenBSD and GCL

From: Magnus Henoch
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: OpenBSD and GCL
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:27:58 +0100

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Magnus.
>
> Many thanks for the info.
>
> I'll look into those attachments later in the week when I get back to this
> problem - it's kind of a background relief task for me at the moment when I
> get frustrated with the Windows port.
>
> Once I know what is happening I'll let you know so that you can get set up.
>
> I did some nore work on this last night and the main problems were that, as
> it is distributed, OpenBSD 3.4 does not have GNU sed, GNU make, no isnormal
> and in ieeefp.h, no FP_NZERO.
>
> I just copied the h/FreeBSD.* files to OpenBSD.* and made appropriate
> changes. By working around the problems with isnormal and friends I got to
> the point where the BSD sed stopped me.

I've been using the FreeBSD.* files - so far it seems that they fit
well together with some autoconf magic.

> I am now wondering whether the best strategy is to try and modify the source
> of GCL so that it works oput of the box on a stock standard OpenBSD or
> whether to ask potential builders to "download this, download that etc".

IMO, asking people to get GNU make is reasonable, as they will need it
for just about everything else.

About sed - GNU sed is not an absolute prerequisite.  BSD sed would
do, except for a bug related to having several -e switches on the same
command line.  (PR 3677)  That gives three options:

1. Update OpenBSD sed to -current (in particular revision 1.17 of compile.c)
2. Get GNU sed, put it first in PATH
3. Split sed commands in GCL makefiles

Given that OpenBSD 3.5 will be released in about two months, and that
security fixes are distributed only as source (so users are more or
less expected to keep a source tree around), I think options 1 and 2
are sufficient workarounds for the time being.

Regards,
Magnus