gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] brk emulation, unexec, macosx, openbsd, fedora

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] brk emulation, unexec, macosx, openbsd, fedora
Date: 24 Mar 2004 09:28:57 -0500

Greetings!  Its just dawned on me that Aurelien has likely provided a
model solution to the Fedora problem as well as the openbsd problem.
Aurelien, how does your unexec work with your emulated sbrk?  Is the
saved image size always at its maximal value?  Do you create your own
section in the executable for your heap?  Is there any way you know of
persistently and incrementally storing and re-executing a gradually
growing heap?  This in my mind is the point of brk, a functionality
which I do not know how to achieve any other way.  I don't really care
where the memory is, or if it is contiguous with the end of the .data
section, but one does want to be able to incrementally build up lisp
systems, doing some work, saving, re-executing the saved image,
growing the heap some more, etc., preferably without having to have a
512Mb-1Gb image file at every stage, i.e. when one only needs a few
meg.  Especially critical for embedded applications I'd think.

Take care,