gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] misc

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Gcl-devel] misc
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:15:38 -0400

East Coast Computer Algebra Day 2004 (Saturday, May 8th)
in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Maybe I can score a new Maple t-shirt :-)

http://www.cargo.wlu.ca/eccad2004

=========================
re: GCL on Windows and open source lab

I teach an open source course and I've gotten funded to set up a lab.
(I'm trying to get funds to invite speakers but no luck so far).

One of the boxen in the lab is targetted toward being a computer
algebra pile. I'm lead developer on Axiom and Magnus (infinite
group theory). I'd like to get a student or two to do computer
algebra work. Also, this box is going to be used to work with
Dirk to build a new Quantian Scientific Computing CD (similar
to Knoppix) (see http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html)
I want to put GCL, Axiom and ACL2 on it. It already has Maxima.

A second box is a 64 bit machine so we can look at pushing Axiom
(and therefore GCL) up to 64 bits.

The other boxes are planned to run other distros, including Windows,
for porting and compile-farming.

The goal is to get a couple students who want to learn to be
computational mathematicians. We can't find them so we have to
grow them. I just got my hands on the new Computational
Commutative Algebra book (built around CoCoA) and have been
considering teaching a course around it. I also have a good
book on Category Theory and it would make an interesting course
(but very Axiom specific).

Anyway the lab equipment has been ordered but has not yet arrived.
And, as we all know, getting a new computer up and running is a
time consuming job. sigh.

re: GCL 2.6.1 vs 2.6.2 vs 2.6.2a

umm, I'm confused. According to your note the latest cvs checkout
will only get 2.6.1? I thought it was 2.6.2.

Tim