gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] misc

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] misc
Date: 14 Apr 2004 10:57:50 -0400

Greetings!

Tim Daly  <address@hidden> writes:

> East Coast Computer Algebra Day 2004 (Saturday, May 8th)
> in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Maybe I can score a new Maple t-shirt :-)
>
> http://www.cargo.wlu.ca/eccad2004

... was hoping for next door nyc :-)

> =========================
> re: GCL on Windows and open source lab
>
> I teach an open source course and I've gotten funded to set up a lab.
> (I'm trying to get funds to invite speakers but no luck so far).
>
> One of the boxen in the lab is targetted toward being a computer
> algebra pile. I'm lead developer on Axiom and Magnus (infinite
> group theory). I'd like to get a student or two to do computer
> algebra work. Also, this box is going to be used to work with
> Dirk to build a new Quantian Scientific Computing CD (similar
> to Knoppix) (see http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html)
> I want to put GCL, Axiom and ACL2 on it. It already has Maxima.
>
> A second box is a 64 bit machine so we can look at pushing Axiom
> (and therefore GCL) up to 64 bits.

Just to let you know, gcl/axiom works at present on itanium and
alpha.  I expect it also to work on amd64, though haven't tested
explicitly.  amd64 should be the strongest 64bit GCL offering, as it
can natively relocate object code.

> The other boxes are planned to run other distros, including Windows,
> for porting and compile-farming.
>
> The goal is to get a couple students who want to learn to be
> computational mathematicians. We can't find them so we have to
> grow them. I just got my hands on the new Computational
> Commutative Algebra book (built around CoCoA) and have been
> considering teaching a course around it. I also have a good
> book on Category Theory and it would make an interesting course
> (but very Axiom specific).
>
> Anyway the lab equipment has been ordered but has not yet arrived.
> And, as we all know, getting a new computer up and running is a
> time consuming job. sigh.

Sounds exciting.  Good luck!

> re: GCL 2.6.1 vs 2.6.2 vs 2.6.2a
>
> umm, I'm confused. According to your note the latest cvs checkout
> will only get 2.6.1? I thought it was 2.6.2.

You are not the only one who is confused!  After the gnu.org
compromise, we've hosted gcl on Debian.  We still have not changed
this, but hope to with 2.6.2.  Right now, we have an 'upstream'
version, 2.6.1, and a Debian package version (now at -37), which can
be found in the first line of the debian/changelog file.  So current
stable is at 2.6.1-37.  When we finally squash at least the Windows
gcc 3.3.3 bug, we'll release 2.6.2, push to gnu.org and change the
numbering system.  CVS snapshots after that point will have the date
in the version number, I'm guessing.

Suggestions of course most welcome.

Take care,