gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] misc

From: root
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] misc
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:09:49 -0400

> > East Coast Computer Algebra Day 2004 (Saturday, May 8th)
> > in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Maybe I can score a new Maple t-shirt :-)
> >
> > http://www.cargo.wlu.ca/eccad2004
> >

> ... was hoping for next door nyc :-)

Actually, we are hosting a conference in NYC on April 30th:
(no admission, registration at the door)
http://www.grouptheory.org

The Future of Scientific Computation

Michael P. Barnett

"Helping scientific research and teaching benefit from symbolic computation"

Professor Michael P. Barnett is a visiting researcher at Princeton
University and Professor Emeritus at Brooklyn College. His recent
research in symbolic integration results in tabulations of overlap
integrals, molecular integrals, and Coulomb integrals and he has
compiled extensive surveys of use of computer algebra in chemistry and
the life sciences.

Bruno Buchberger

"How I managed to automate myself"

Bruno Buchberger is Professor of Computer Mathematics, at The Research
Institute for Symbolic Computation in Linz.  He is the Group Leader
Symbolic Computation Professor for Computer Mathematics at the
Research Group for Symbolic Computation at RISC. He has made
fundamental contributions to Computer algebra, symbolic computation,
Automated theorem proving and Mathematical knowledge management. His
work on Groebner bases is one of the most important tools in computer
algebra.

Charles Peskin

"Muscle and Blood: Computer Simulation of the Heart by the Immersed
 Boundary Method"

Charles S. Peskin is Professor of Computer Science at the Courant
Institute of Mathematical Sciences of New York University. He was
elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1995. According to the
membership listing, "Peskin has made fundamental contributions to the
mathematical and numerical analysis of physiological problems,
particularly in cardiac fluid dynamics and the study of the heart's
architecture; the deep insights his work has produced contribute to
the design of prosthetic heart valves, and his methods advance the art
of scientific computation".

Stephen Watt

"Interfaces for Mathematical Components"

Stephen Watt, the former chair of Computer Science at The University
of Western Ontario, is now a full professor in the department. He has
made fundamental contributions to Maple and Axiom, two leading
computer algebra systems. Stephen was the designer and technical lead
on the development of Aldor, a strongly-typed categorical programming
language. He has also had important contributions in MathML, a
standard for math on the internet.