gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Migration away from GnomeVFS is done

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Migration away from GnomeVFS is done
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 12:33:22 +0200

Hello people,

I'm proud to announce that the migration away from GnomeVFS is done.

It was a lot of hard work and I have spent many evenings reading
old GnomeVFS and new GIO docs, working myself through migration documents,
asking things in discourse.gnome.org and of course spent time in coding
and local testing. I also spent some evenings with a friend of mine,
Maik, to discuss source code issues, which was a lot of fun and where
we learned many things. Special thanks go to my family supporting me in
this time, as it really took many hours away from us...

From today on, Gnome Commander is NOT depending on GnomeVFS anymore.
Instead, it uses capabilities provided by GIO and GLIB, contained in
all modern Linux distributions.

Still, there are things to be done before the next release will happen,
because there are still things missing. For example, at the moment it
is not possible to mount encrypted devices. Also, the file search is
crashing often without a helpful stack trace.

Please feel free to checkout the latest sources from Gnome's Gitlab
instance at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-commander and test the
current master branch.

In https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-commander/-/milestones I have
create a 1.14.0 milestone where I selected the issues which ought to be
fixed before the next release.

Best
Uwe