gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Gnome Commander version 1.14.0 released

From: Ken Taylor
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Gnome Commander version 1.14.0 released
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 15:06:44 +0000

Good news and not so good news,

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Sunday, February 6, 2022 4:43 AM, Uwe Scholz <u.scholz83@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Ken!
>
> Am Sun, 06 Feb 2022 02:43:14 +0000 schrieb Ken Taylor via gcmd-users:
>
> > Thanks Uwe,
> > That is great news! Of course there is always something to overcome :-(
> > Building on Ubuntu 20.04 I get this message during ./configure
> > configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.66.0) were not met:
> > Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.66.0' but version of GLib is 2.64.6
> > It seems that 2.64.6 is the current version for Ubuntu 20.04 which is the
> > Long Term Support release.
>
> Yes, while using some features provided by the glib library, I had to
> increase the required version to 2.66.
>
> Using ubuntu 21.10 should work, it was tested already. Be aware to
> install "autoconf-archive" if you encounter an error regarding
> AX_COMPARE_VERSION when doing the configre step.
>
> Best
> Uwe
>
> gcmd-users mailing list
> gcmd-users@nongnu.org

1.14 built fine on Ubuntu 21.10. Per my old instructions on the web site
installed:

build-essential itstool gawk libxml2-utils libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev (and I
had to add) flex

./configure make and sudo make install ran without complaint.

I did find that the issue with checkinstall per the September 21, 2021 warning
note no longer seems to be an issue. I installed checkinstall and created a
.deb package without any bad effects. It will install on Mint 20.3 (based on
Ubuntu 20.04) but gnome-commander will not run.

ken@vmMintMate:~/Desktop$ gnome-commander
gnome-commander: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.29'
not found (required by gnome-commander)
gnome-commander: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not
found (required by gnome-commander)
gnome-commander: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not
found (required by gnome-commander)

I am in the process of migrating my systems to Mint so I guess I will have to
wait until Ubuntu 22.04 LTS comes out in a couple of months and then Mint will
build a new release built on that base (I think).

Until then if I want to use the desktop trashcan I guess I will just have to
use the built in file manager :-(  Actually I rarely use the trash can. When I
delete something with gnome-commander I want it DELETED.  A really neat trick
would be an option to securely delete the file, perhaps with shred. However,
with solid state drives I am not sure how effective that is.

Thanks again for all your great work.

Ken