Re: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS Example

From: Nathan Allen Stratton
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS Example
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:53:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Matt Paine wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> > http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_High_Availability_Storage_with_GlusterFS
> >
> > If anyone hasthe time for a few questions:
>
> I will do my best :)

Thanks!

> > 1) In the past, my server configuration had only the local volume as in
> > http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_Configuration_Example_for_Four_Bricks
> > Your config looks like each server has its volume and all the others.
>
> This setup (i'm assuming you are talking about the high availability
> storage with glusterfs article) is specifically for high availability,

I am referencing the first link:
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_High_Availability_Storage_with_GlusterFS

I understand that the 2nd link is talking about doing everything on one
server, my question is why in the first link that looks like it is talking
about 3 physical boxes and each config file lists all the volumes
(mailspool-santa2-ds, santa3-ds) where in the 2nd link a server.vol file
only has the local volume information.

> if a brick goes down then there needs to be redundancy built in to
> provide a fallback option. If it was a simple unify solution, and a
> brick goes down, then you will be missing files (hence, not highly
> available at all unless you can guarantee 100% uptime of all bricks
> under all circumstances - which as far as I know noone offers :)
>
> In that specific example, it has been chosen to provide every brick with
>   a copy of the files. In this case two bricks could fail and the
> cluster would still be up and running :). Extending this to 10 bricks,
> then you could potentially have 9 bricks fail and it would still be
> working.
>
> Point being, GlusterFS is highly configurable, you can set it up any way
> you like, more redundancy (afr), or more space (unify) or both. Your choice.
>

> > 2) Why do you use loopback IP vs the public IP in the first example?
>
> The first example introduces itself with this paragraph....
>
> --------8<---------------------------------
> In this article, I will show you how to configure GlusterFS to simulate
> a cluster with:
>
>      * one single mount point
>      * 4 storage nodes serving the files
>
> I said simulate since we will deploy such a cluster on only one
> computer, but you can as well set it up over physical different
> computers by changing the IP addresses.
> ------------------------->8----------------
>
> Its only a simulation, run on one computer. If you wish to use the
> example over an actual cluster of computers, you will need to change the
> IP numbers accordingly.

Understood, however in the fist link the example has the first brick as a
127 address and the other 2 bricks as 192.168.252 address. My guess is
that it was a typo since when I looked at the page this morning the 172
address was corrected to be 192.168.242.2, consistent with the rest of the
example.

> > 3) Can I change option replicate *:3 to *:2 to just have two copies? I
> > like having an extra copy, but in my application having 3 or 3 note or 4
> > for 4 node is a bit overkill.
>
> Yes. As I said its highly configurable. You can even choose to replicate
> only certain files. E.g.
>
> option replicate *.tmp:1,*.html:4,*.php:4,*.db:1,*:2
>
> In this case any .tmp or .db files will not get replicated (will sit on
> the first afr brick only), all html and php files will be mirrored
> across the first four bricks of afr, and all other files will be
> mirrorred across the first two bricks. (note all on one line, note comma
> delimited, note also no spaces before or after the comma).

Right, but is it possible to just tell the config you want to store 2
copies of everything without telling each system where the redundant
copies should be stored? I.E. I am looking for something like RAID 6,
where I have say 8 bricks with two copies of every file. If I just enter
*:2 then the spare copies will just be on the first two bricks and since
each 8 brick has the same amount of storage I will run out of space on the
first two before the others vs the redundant copies distributed over the 8
bricks.

> > 4) In my application the server is also the client, in my current config
> > when one out of 3 servers is done I can no longer write, even tho I am
> > telling my config to write to the local brick. Is there any way to fix
> > this? If a note is down I understand how I would not have access to the
> > files, but I don't want to take down the full cluster.
>
> I'm note sure sorry. Maybe one of the devs can clarify that. I know
> there was an issue with an earlier relase to do with AFR. When the first
> brick was down then afr was no longer available.

Ah... That could be it.