Re: [Gluster-devel] latest TLA has demon showing up as [glusterfs]

From: Mickey Mazarick
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] latest TLA has demon showing up as [glusterfs]
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 06:28:00 -0500

Ah I see! I have an additional comment/question though.

I've noticed that when I unmount a gluster volume on a client the [glusterfs] process is still running. Perhaps it thinks my cleint spec is a server. I have no instance of "type protocol/server" in the client spec. What does it use to determine weather it's a client or a server?

-Mickey Mazarick

Anand Avati wrote:
Mickey,
in the latest codebase, there are no more server and client programs. there is just one glusterfs (and glusterfsd is a symlink to glusterfs). it behaves either as a client or server according to the volume spec file given.

if the glusterfs program is passed a mountpoint it attaches a fuse translator in a hardcoded way, so this preserves backward compatibility. The new model also allows both protocol/server and mount/fuse (mountability) in the same spec file which can be a performance improvement in NUFA mode of operations.

avati