Re: [Gluster-devel] Qmail Cluster with Gluster and Maildir

From: Brandon Lamb
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Qmail Cluster with Gluster and Maildir
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 02:33:59 -0700

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Amar S. Tumballi <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  We are exploring the possibility of using Gluster in a High Availability
> > Qmail Cluster.  Currently we use NFS to connect 5 qmail nodes to a single
> > NFS server where the mail is stored.  This setup works GREAT for us
> > without
> > any problems.  (Except that the NFS server clunks out every week or so for
> > an unknown reason...)
> >

> Welcome! sure, it can work fine as NFS replacement.
>

> >  We want to move to Gluster and an AFR brick to give us a HA cluster.  How
> > does gluster do with LOTS and LOTS of small files (140GB of files with an
> > average size of 35k?)  My guess is that if it works with NFS it will work
> > with Gluster, what about when one brick in the AFR goes down?  Does
> > gluster
> > timeout quickly and resume operations with just one node?
> >

> Yes, when a brick goes down, AFR handles it smoothly. User will not see the
> effect of one machine going offline.
>

> --
> Amar Tumballi
> Gluster/GlusterFS Hacker
> [bulde on #gluster/irc.gnu.org]
> http://www.zresearch.com - Commoditizing Supercomputing and Superstorage!

I know I have sort of asked about this in the past months, and I have
seen a couple other inquiries.

Can someone who has successfully used GlusterFS as a maildir NFS
replacement with AFR post their configs to show how they did it, and
maybe post how their performance is?

Last time I messed with this (probably 2 months now) I had slow
performance and things would just crap out, so obviously I did not
understand something and probably had a bad config setup.

I have two nfs servers, 1 for our web cluster and 1 for mail, i would
love to merge the two of them and setup afr between them but I just
did not have any luck accomplishing this.

Hopefully this didnt get too long winded, but has anyone on this list
used glusterfs in a mail storage way with afr like described?