Re: [Gluster-devel] Client side afr versus server side, doing a self-hea

From: Amar S. Tumballi
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Client side afr versus server side, doing a self-heal
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 12:16:19 -0700

> I have to say that considering there are relative few xattr supporting
> file systems, something like a stackable xattr FS would be quite useful.
> Keep the xattrs in a SQLite DB.

We are evaluating this as we needed had to support few cases where companies
have Large NFS exports, and they want to shift to GlusterFS. As NFS doesn't
support xattrs, we are thinking of getting xattr support as a translator.
That way, we can support afr/stripe (or any other future translators) which
need xattr, on all the backend filesystems.

But I should admit thats not anytime within another month. Will put it up on
Roadmap once we get an idea, and evaluate it properly.

Amar Tumballi
Gluster/GlusterFS Hacker
[bulde on #gluster/irc.gnu.org]
http://www.zresearch.com - Commoditizing Super Storage!