Re: [Gluster-devel] 1.3.8 FreeBSD Compilation issues

From: Amar S. Tumballi
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] 1.3.8 FreeBSD Compilation issues
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 16:59:21 -0700

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Jordan Mendler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks Amar,
>
> 1) Commenting that line out allows compilation to succeed -- I will let you
> know how things work after I have a chance to try it out.

Thanks, I will have a patch for this issue.

> 2) A few days ago, someone on IRC told me that there were changes committed
> to improve FreeBSD/Linux compatibility that will be available in the next
> release. Do you know when this release will be made, and how substantial the
> changes are?

Mostly thats me only :D Yes, a patch to handle errno incompatibility has
gone in. About the release date, we haven't decided yet. (ie, another week,
15days or 20days. not more than that).

> 3) Any other suggestions, problems, differences from Linux, gotchas, etc
> that I may encounter in trying to deploy this on FreeBSD?

I am not sure how good ZFS on BSD is. Also, Currently the compatibility code
for supporting extended attributes is there in Solaris part of GlusterFS,
need to check about BSD too. (When we ported BSD had xattr support, but not
sure of ZFS over BSD). Other than that, I am not seeing any problems with
using it.

> 4) If all goes well and we end up using FreeBSD for our production storage
> cluster, I'd be happy to help out in preparing glusterfs for the ports
> system. I have RPM development experience, so wouldn't mind using glusterfs
> as an excuse to learn Ports development.

Thanks :)

Regads,

--
Amar Tumballi