Re: [Gluster-devel] Crawling and indexing hardware

From: gordan
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Crawling and indexing hardware
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 13:12:06 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Marcus Herou wrote:

Ok so the mantra is: Backup as often as you can afford :)

I don't really see that as being a workable solution.

However if an index is corrupt it's not a big deal since the data is not
connected to the
index itself but rather stored elsewhere. Actually it will probably be stored
with GlusterFS
as well but with another access pattern which I hope will not run int these
issues. This data
will probably be rolled out on tape or such every night and a hot backup be
kept somewhere
just in case.

The problem is that hot backups will also be synced to the old version. Something like CopyFS on top of GlusterFS might give you what you need WRT backups, but I'm not sure how that would cope with versioning number resets and suchlike, and whether a broken sync would utterly break it.

Gordan