Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: NFS reexport status

From: Brent A Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: NFS reexport status
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:08:00 -0400 (EDT)

I had nfs-kernel mostly working with earlier GlusterFS versions, Linux-to-Linux (except that CWD in a shell cded into the mount would eventually disappear on an idle shell); Linux-to-Solaris had very unreliable rm -rf behavior. It took a lot of effort on the part of GlusterFS developers to get to that point.

I would suggest that, if you don't get acceptable behavior from nfs-kernel, give the latest release of UNFS3 a try. In testing, at least, I had it working without issue, reexporting a GlusterFS via NFS to Linux and Solaris. Performance was quite reasonable, and I very much get the impression that there's less to go wrong with user-mode vs. kernel-mode NFS, which is very hard to get right (and is probably very easy to break with a small change to GlusterFS code).

Thanks,

Brent

PS I assume you know to set fsid= on your NFS exports, both for nfs-kernel and UNFS3 (otherwise, you probably wouldn't have even been able to mount, and you need to turn off direct-io on GlusterFS with direct-io-mode=DISABLE on your GlusterFS mount options (or writes will fail horribly, at best giving you zero-length files). I don't recall for certain, but direct-io may not be an issue with UNFS3.