Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: NFS reexport status

From: Sam Wouters
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: NFS reexport status
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:54:57 +0200

On Friday 03 October 2008 16:08:00 Brent A Nelson wrote:
> I had nfs-kernel mostly working with earlier GlusterFS versions,
> Linux-to-Linux (except that CWD in a shell cded into the mount would
> eventually disappear on an idle shell); Linux-to-Solaris had very
> unreliable rm -rf behavior.  It took a lot of effort on the part of
> GlusterFS developers to get to that point.
>
> I would suggest that, if you don't get acceptable behavior from
> nfs-kernel, give the latest release of UNFS3 a try.  In testing, at least,
> I had it working without issue, reexporting a GlusterFS via NFS to Linux
> and Solaris.  Performance was quite reasonable, and I very much get the
> impression that there's less to go wrong with user-mode vs. kernel-mode
> NFS, which is very hard to get right (and is probably very easy to break
> with a small change to GlusterFS code).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brent
>
> PS I assume you know to set fsid= on your NFS exports, both for nfs-kernel
> and UNFS3 (otherwise, you probably wouldn't have even been able to mount,
> and you need to turn off direct-io on GlusterFS with
> direct-io-mode=DISABLE on your GlusterFS mount options (or writes will
> fail horribly, at best giving you zero-length files).  I don't recall for
> certain, but direct-io may not be an issue with UNFS3.

Thanks for the update,

fsid was set for the exports, but the direct-io-mode was set to none as stated
in the optimizing guide
(http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Guide_to_Optimizing_GlusterFS).
Basic storage bricks seem to be working now, I will try the complete AFR setup
again monday and let you know.

Thanks,

Sam