Re: [Gluster-devel] glusterfs-3.3.0qa34 released

From: Patrick Matthäi
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] glusterfs-3.3.0qa34 released
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:44:48 +0200

Am 11.04.2012 14:15, schrieb Kaleb S. KEITHLEY:
On 04/10/2012 04:42 PM, Patrick Matthäi wrote:
b) Older but problematic licensing problem. The openssl license is not
compatible with GPL{1,2,3}, so on glusterfs(!) needs to add an licensing
exception.
See: http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html
Point: OpenSSL

Bear in mind that this is only the first step to separate out a
libglusterfs-client library licensed under LGPL for third parties to use
to write extensions to GlusterFS. The intent is to use OpenSSL APIs only
in code that resides in the LGPLed library.

Ah, if it is only used in LGPL code then this is no problem, thanks for your clarification.

The link you reference indicates that it's okay to use OpenSSL "... if
upstream gave a license exception for this...".

Offhand I'd say that upstream, i.e. Red Hat and Gluster.org, are giving
a license exception; we probably ought to explicitly indicate that
somewhere before we ship GA. (This link
http://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html has suggestions
for how to do that if we need to.)

Yes it just would be enough - in the case that openssl is used in the future with GPL code - to add a file like "COPYING.OpenSSL" and add your exception.